From 1913 to 1940, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and his road crews constructed 57 miles of carriage roads (45 miles in Acadia National Park) used today for non-motorized travel including walking or hiking, and riding bicycles, horses, or in carriages.
On the Park Loop Road at the edge of Otter Cove, this modest monument next to an Acadia National Park picnic area honors Alessandro Fabbri, a banking partner of J.P. Morgan’s who summered in Bar Harbor at the beginning of the 20th century
Sieur de Monts Spring was a favorite location of George Dorr’s, the first superintendent of Acadia who built a springhouse there in 1909 and had the words ‘Sweet Waters of Acadia’ carved into a large rock.
Located along the Park Loop Road, just to the southeast of the Jordan Pond area, Wildwood Stables takes advantage of the scenic carriage roads whose construction was supervised and financed by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. between 1913 and 1940.
The 187-acre Jordan Pond, second-largest body of water in Acadia National Park (after Eagle Lake), is also the park’s deepest, dropping to 150 feet.
The Otter Cove area (just past Otter Cliffs and Otter Point) provides one of the best viewpoints along the Park Loop Road, giving visitors good looks both out to sea and inland.
Since the mid-1970s, Otter Cliffs, about 500 feet wide and up to 100 feet high, has become the most popular rock climbing spot in Maine, and one of the few places anywhere where you can climb right above the ocean.
Acadia National Park’s scenic Ocean Drive begins at the park entrance station and continues along the coast, passing Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, and Otter Cliffs.
This 27-mile paved road on the eastern half of Mount Desert Island, as its name implies, loops through Acadia National Park, providing an excellent introduction to the park’s many different scenic glories including Sieur de Monts Spring, the Ocean Drive, Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Otter Cliff, Jordan Pond, and Cadillac Mountain.
Sand Beach is what’s called a natural pocket beach, about 300 yards wide, tucked at the northern end of Newport Cove between Great Head and the Beehive.