THE ISLAND EXPLORER OPERATES JUNE 23rd THROUGH COLUMBUS DAY. FALL SERVICE BEGINS ON AUGUST 29th.
1. THE OCEANARIUM: The Oceanarium bus operates between the Oceanarium and the Bar Harbor Village Green, linking three private campgrounds with the Hulls Cove Visitor Center and Bar Harbor’s village center. Transfer to Loop Road and Jordan Pond buses at the Visitor Center. Buses operate every 30 minutes throughout most of the day, and hourly in the evening. Fall service operates hourly.
2. EDEN STREET: The Eden Street bus connects hotels on Route 3 with the Bar Harbor Village Green. It also serves the Natural History Museum at the College of the Atlantic. From 6:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. buses operate every 30 minutes. From 3:30 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. this service runs every 15 minutes. Fall service operates every half hour.
3. SAND BEACH: The Sand Beach bus operates between the Bar Harbor Village Green and Sand Beach. The service operates every 20 minutes during the day.
4. LOOP ROAD: The Loop Road bus starts and ends at the Hulls Cove Visitor Center. It operates every half-hour, with service to Sieur de Monts, Sand Beach, Wildwood Stables, Jordan Pond, and Bubble Pond. The Loop Road bus operates through Columbus Day.
5. JORDAN POND: The Jordan Pond bus runs between Bar Harbor and Northeast Harbor via the Hulls Cove Visitor Center, Bubble Pond, Jordan Pond, and Seal Harbor. It provides access to hiking trails and carriage roads in Acadia National Park. The Jordan Pond bus operates every 30 minutes.
6. BROWN MOUNTAIN: The Brown Mountain bus links Bar Harbor and Northeast Harbor via the Eagle Lake Road and Route 198. It provides access to carriage roads and hiking trails at Eagle Lake, Parkman Mountain, and the Brown Mountain Gate House. The bus operates every 75 minutes during the summer. There is no Brown Mountain service in the fall.
7. SOUTHWEST HARBOR: The Southwest Harbor bus connects Bar Harbor and Southwest Harbor. It also serves Somesville, Manset, Seawall, Bass Harbor, and Bernard. The Southwest Harbor bus operates every 60 minutes. A limited number of daily trips are offered in the fall.
8. SCHOODIC: The Schoodic bus serves Acadia National Park’s Schoodic Point, with stops in Winter Harbor, Prospect Harbor, and Birch Harbor. The bus connects with Bar Harbor-Winter Harbor ferries.
9. TRENTON: The Trenton bus links three private campgrounds, the airport, and the Acadia Gateway Center with the Bar Harbor Village Green. This bus operates hourly throughout the day via Somesville and the MDI High School.
10. BLACKWOODS: The Blackwoods bus operates between the Bar Harbor Village Green and Blackwoods Campground. It stops at Sieur de Monts Spring and in the village of Otter Creek. The Blackwoods bus operates hourly.
BICYCLE EXPRESS: The Bicycle Express operates every half hour between the Bar Harbor Village Green and Acadia National Park’s carriage road system at Eagle Lake. This service is available from 9:15 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. from June 23 through late August. During September, the last inbound departure from Eagle Lake is at 4:00 p.m. The Bicycle Express does not operate in October.
Information courtesy of the Island Explorer, operated by Downeast Transportation.