A picturesque little village located on the northern shore of Mount Desert Island, Salsbury Cove includes its own tiny post office, a historic church, several vacation cottages and a marine biomedical research facility that offers public educational programs in the summer.
A few miles before you reach Bar Harbor, you come upon a small cove of Frenchman Bay named for Captain Samuel Hull, a sea captain from Connecticut who settled here in the 1780s.
This garden at the edge of Northeast Harbor was designed and opened in 1956 by Charles K. Savage, whose family, since the 1880s, has operated the Asticou Inn that stands on the other side of Peabody Drive.
Thuya Garden is part of a 140-acre preserve just outside Northeast Harbor that includes Thuya Lodge, the summer home for almost 50 years of Joseph Henry Curtis, a Boston landscape architect.
As a living field guide that offers a condensed sampling of the island’s natural habitats, the gardens show off examples of twelve Down East plant communities
On the Park Loop Road at the edge of Otter Cove, this modest monument next to an Acadia National Park picnic area honors Alessandro Fabbri, a banking partner of J.P. Morgan’s who summered in Bar Harbor at the beginning of the 20th century
In its earliest days as a tourist destination, Bar Harbor was reached not by planes, trains, and automobiles, but by coastal steamer.
Back in 1914, the town was stunned to wake up on August 4th and find a giant ship, 707 feet long and 72 feet wide, anchored just offshore from the Shore Path.
This estate along the Shore Path in Bar Harbor was built in 1883 for Mary Cadwalader Jones, a close friend and literary agent of her sister-in-law Edith Wharton. Jones’s other friends in New York City included Henry James, Henry Adams, and Theodore Roosevelt.
A special attraction for visitors to St. Saviour’s is its outstanding selection of more than thirty memorial stained glass windows dating from 1886, including the dozen that make up Maine’s largest collection of Tiffany windows.