In 1892, a group of year-round and summer residents founded the Northeast Harbor Library and Reading Room. The original library was a seasonal operation housed in shingle bungalow designed by local architect Fred L. Savage on South Shore Drive. The present library (their third building) on Joy and Summit Road in Northeast Harbor opened its doors in 2007.
They currently serve as both the public library for the Town of Mount Desertand the school library for Mount Desert Elementary School. Funding is largely private. Less than 15% of annual operating funds are derived from public monies; 85% is from endowment income and annual giving. Outside of their large collection, services include:
4 public access computers for adults (2 Macs and 2 PCs). We also have 3 computers in the children’s room and 2 in the young adult area.
The library also offers free WiFi in the building and within the immediate vicinity.
They participate in a statewide inter-library loan system and can order nearly any book from other libraries within the state of Maine, as well as out-of-state.
The library provides two small study rooms for private study or small meetings.
The library provides free access to a large collection of audiobooks and e-books through Maine InfoNet.
There is a copy machine for public use at the circulation desk on the first floor. Copies are $.25 each. The library’s public access computers can print black and white documents for $.25 each.