The Bar Harbor Historical Society is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The concept which eventually grew to be the Bar Harbor Historical Society originated in the summer of 1945. In that year, a committee was formed from the directors of the Jesup Memorial Library. They decided to exhibit old photographs and pamphlets showing the town’s past in memory of George B. Dorr, the father of Acadia National Park, who died in 1944. The exhibit was such a success that when it closed, the committee was inspired to maintain a permanent exhibit of all historical materials relating to the town of Bar Harbor. The exhibit originally opened in the former Children’s room of the Jesup Memorial Library on August 19, 1946.
Since then the collection has grown steadily and we gradually outgrew our space. Fortunately, in November 1997 we were able to purchase the building (formerly the St. Edwards Convent) at 33 Ledgelawn Avenue. The many gifts of memorabilia, maps, antique clothing and pictures continue to expand the displays.